This kick is probably one of the coolest moves in capoeira that will certainly catch any audiences attention and is also seen in the world of breakdancing.
follow these steps:
1. Start from a standing or cadeira position (squat)
2. Gently place your palm (dominant arm) on the ground near the side of your foot of the same side
3. Firmly tense you arm & shoulder with a slightly bent elbow as it will be carrying your whole body weight, make sure your arm is solid & stable
4. Slowly lift your feet off the ground one foot at a time and lightly tuck your legs in as you raise them upwards (start off with the foot that is opposite side to where you placed your palm)
5. Once your legs are tucked in for about a second, kick them back into place from your standing/cadeira position
6. Repeat multiple times until you get a good feel of the movement
Your body should feel like a catapult. Once your body bends to it's limit on one side you should then apply power as you bounce back into place, otherwise all that body weight will force you to go unbalanced and fall straight to the ground.
make these improvements:
1. Once you've got the basics from the beginner level repeat the same steps however apply more power to your legs when you lift off and focus on your balance
2. Instead of tucking your legs in, keep your legs straight and aim to raise them up towards the sky/ceiling (point your toes up if it helps)
3. Once your legs are raised straight up in the air for about a second kick them back into place from your standing/cadeira position
4. Repeat multiple times until you get a good feel of the movement
Power & balance is essential as this will take you to the next advance step, this should feel lile you're almost doing a one-handed handstand.
make these improvements:
1. Once you've got the moderate level all sorted repeat the same steps but this time applying power, balance & speed to your legs when you lift off and kick back
2.Instead of raising your legs upwards, this time aim to stretch your opposite leg to the side and the other leg the other direction, with both legs straight and wide apart
3. Once your legs are raised & stretched out in the air for about a second (point you toes up if it helps) kick them back into place from your standing/cadeira position
4. Repeat multiple times until you get a feel of the movement
Once you're comfortable you can extend the duration of the stretch and hold the L-Kick a few more seconds longer or you can apply more speed and snap the L-Kick.